ICT

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Foldables - 3 D Interactive graphic organizers

I realise my pupils taking Foundation Science and my weak P4 pupils has short term memory and they cannot retain facts. Don't mention about getting them to solve application questions.

In my first remedial for both classes, I tried summarising what they have learnt. After that, I asked them to recite what I just taught. I was very surprised they could not recall the facts that solid has definite shape, liquid has no definite volume etc and the P5 confused with all the four processes such as evaporation, condensation, freezing and melting. The lessons were a flop.

In my second lesson, I introduced foldables, the use of 3 D graphic organizers, to get them to cut, paste draw and write to synthesize what they have learnt. I went to buy some coloured construction paper, glue and markers. I understand we have to provide all the resources.

They love this novelty and told me to extend my remedial. When I asked them to pass me the foldables to show to my colleagues, they were not willing and told me it is very precious and they would like to keep it since they have spent so much time doing it. I was pleasantly surprised when a P5 parent came to tell that the use of foldables has helped her girl to remember the facts better.

I must say it is really time consuming but it is worth the time spent because when I assessed them at the end of the lesson, they were able to recall the facts which is much better than the first lesson of teacher talk. One foldable takes about 45 mins to construct which means they learn only 1 concept. I need to highlight that this strategy is suitable for low ability pupils and you can only use it when the class size is small like 10- 12 pupils so that you can give them the attention they need.

This strategy works well for our pupils as most of them are kinesthetic, visual and tactile learners. And our brains can remember the facts when the brains are used to synthesize and organize the information.

Here are some samples from the kids.


Properties of solid, liquid and gases - Done by P4 pupils






4 Processes o water - Done by P5 pupils



3 states of water - Done by P5 pupils
If you are interested, do visit http://www.dinah.com/.

I got the idea from this book, Big Book of Science written by Dinah Zike.

No comments:

Post a Comment