ICT

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Zip Line Toys

One of the accomplishment during this one week break is the production of the zip line toys. I wanted to order rope runners from this website http://roperunners.com/ but was disappointed that the company does not take overseas order. Coincidentally, I discovered another wonderful website http://madebyjoel.com/2010/07/zip-line-toy.html which shows how to make  zipline toy which is similar to rope runners.

It seem very easy to make the toys on the website but actually it took me a number of hours, a number of trials and errors, a number failures to finally come out the toys that roll down the zip line wihtout falling off.

Zhi Quan started to make the toys with me. He and I tried and we could not get it to roll down instead it slid down the line so I went to get Mrs Lim to troubleshoot for me. Mrs Lim is really good at problem solving. She adjusted the paperclip so that the bobby wheel turned more freely. She also used the LAN cable which is thicker and a stapler to balance the booy wheel on the cable. As a result, the centre of gravity is changed to a lower position.





I must thank her for helping me so that I move on to create more.

There are many factors affecting the balance of the toys on the rope. If the weights are too heavy, the toy will topple. If it is too light, it will also fall off and the toy does not move at all. If the rope is too steep, the wheel will roll very fast and fall down halfway. By the way, I am not good at hands on and it took me a long time to turn the paperclip to the desired one as shown above and my fingers ached.

With the help of Hui Ning, we managed to come out these prototypes. She is good at hands on.






Yeah! My first zipline toy that moves without falling!

Initially I wanted to get my P4 pupils to make this during art periods so that they also learn Science at the same time. But I decided not to do it as I may not be able to give them the feedback on improving the toys to make them move without falling. I believe the learning process in making the toys is very important. It defeats the purpose of doing it if they only focus on the products. Let me master the skills of trouble shooting and deepen my understanding of how the toys move before I introduce them to my pupils.





No comments:

Post a Comment