ICT

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Using Authentic Examples For Higher Order Thinking Skills

There are many authentic examples in Newspaper that we can use it to engage our pupils with higher order thinking skills when teaching Science. Science is really every where!

Last year, I found this picture in Straits Time, June 8, 2011 which is so relevant to the topic on Heat. This year, I showed the pupils the 2 pictures.



I asked the pupils why  the open air sculptures are covered with tarpaulin on a hot day. Pupils were able to tell me that metals are good conductors of heat and thus may scald the children if they sit on it.

More details on this piece of news can be found http://www.publicart.sg/?q=node/375 .

I also showed my pupils this picture.



You can get the picture and more information from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/4360255/Heatwave-in-Melbourne-plays-havoc-with-the-Australian-Open.html .

Similarly, I asked the reasoning question " Why do you think the tracks still buckle when there are gaps between the tracks?".

Last year, I went to San Francisco. I managed to get a picture like this.




It was raining very heavily and it was really cold outside. The warm water vapour in my hotel room lost  heat on the cold window and condensed. My colleague, Kha Ghee wrote this.

A few years ago, I was on holidays with my sister in Japan. When  I came out from my shower, this is exactly what I saw on the mirror in the hotel. I did not think of taking picture at that time but luckily I can find it from the internet.



When I looked at the mirror, I saw myself clearly framed up in a picture. It was really beautiful! I was so amazed and impressed. I immediately touched the dry part of the mirror. Yes, it was warm which is why water droplets could not be formed on that part of the mirror. Whenever I teach condensation, I will share with my pupils the story of this magical mirror  and they are always very captivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment