ICT

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Classification Of leaves

I always think it is a very easy topic till I collect their work. After all , it is not easy for them. I just discovered from the 2 educators, Nancy Frey & Douglas Fisher ,that there is a difference between error and mistake , and of course they emphasize the importance of giving feedback.



I have used all the pictures below to give feedback on their mistakes and errors in class.


The pupils went to the school garden to draw the leaves I chose. This is one that is well -drawn with all the details.







Pupil 1
 I guess the one of the left is a mistake. Pupil did not realise that he/ she overlooked C. As for the error on the right,  the pupil does not know what is parallel vein.

The next 2 pictures from pupil 2 & pupil 3 are full of errors. I actually re taught the whole class how to go about doing the classification wth a lot more scaffolding. I actually reflected why they made so many errors. As I said, I thought it is rather easy but it is not for them. They needed much more scaffolding and the original task is very open and allows divergent  thinking. Pupils could classify the leaves according to colours, leaf edge, leaf shape, leaf vein and size. So I modified the task and it became closed and allows convergent thinking. I got them to copy the classifiaction table and the heading of the classification and got them to classify the leaves. I was too ambitious. Pupils should master the basic before attempting the open task.



Pupil 2

Pupil 3
This is the only one with perfect work.




No comments:

Post a Comment