ICT

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Using POE & Think pair share For Hydroponics Lesson

I really like POE ( Predict Observe Explain) strategy. I asked pupils to predict what would happen if we removed the roots of the vegetables. I also asked them to predict what would happen if we remove all the leaves. I , as well as the pupils, predicted the vegetables would die.

To my surprise, it turned out otherwise.


Roots removed a week before
 The vegetables did not die. So the pupils wrote the observation that the outer 3 leaves are drying and the inner 2 leaves are still surviving. One leaf was turning yellow. And we explained that the vegetables were not able to absorb water, thus they were drying up. The leaf turned yellow because it was not able to make food due to lack of water.

Earlier on, I got the pupils to do think pair share why the vegetables dried up. I heard the conversation of 2 boys. Lin Wei said, " No water". I asked, " There is water in the hydroponics system." Irrfan shared, " The plant has no roots." I asked the two of them to synthesize their 2 partial answers. They quickly answered that the vegetables did not have roots to take in water. I could see that both were happy to get their final answer. I am pleased with think pair share strategy.


All the leaves were removed a week before
 The leaf stalk with the leaves removed did not grow back the leaves. Instead new leaves grew from the stem. We explained that the new leaves grew because they used the food stored in the stem.

It is a great learning experience for both the kids and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment