ICT

Friday, April 6, 2012

Infuse Science Into Art Lessons

My first attempt to teach my pupils in class 4/5 to make Science toys during art lessons. I let pupils have a choice. They can do the paper circus rider toy or the woodpecker.  I managed to get 11 toys completed out of 30 pupils in the class in 2 periods. It is not easy because a number of them have to queue up to get me to help to twist the paper clip and poke a hole in the wheel. They also need me to paste straw for the woodpecker. Later I trained Danny to be an expert in  the woodpecker and Sabrina be my assistant in the paper circus rider. They were quite delighted to be able to be my ssistant teachers.

Done by Marick, Zhi Yao & Irrfan


Irrfan is quite creative. He prefers to draw a boy instead of copying my drawing on the board. A pupil exclaimed, " That's a jungle boy!". These three toys were quite well-done. They were able to oscillate quite well on the rubber band. Zhi Yao 's toy did not work well in the beginning . The bird is stuck and cant move down. We trouble shoot and realise the tail is too long and it interferes with the rubber band so we trim the tail and it works perfectly well.

I get woodpecker idea from this website,
http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/bird/assembl.html

I found The Paper circus rider toy in http://madebyjoel.com/2012/02/paper-circus-rider-toy.html. I let pupils design the riders. I am pleased that their circus riders are well-done and are creative.

Done by Paul


Done by Nisha


Done by Yew Cho
 I think it will be really nice to infuse some Science concepts into Art lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment